Monday, November 29, 2004

Great article, hope the Democrats don't listen

My friend Rob Harrison has a link to this article on his blog, and I thought it was worth cribbing :)

David von Drehle's latest column in the Washington Post, "Take the Issues to the People, Not to the Courts."

Great article that I am hoping the Democratic establishment flat out ignores, because this is a technique that would work, I think. Most people are pretty live and let live--what they hate is anyone telling them what to do, which is what a court decision seems like to a great many people. I will be very curious to see if the Democratic mid-term strategy involves taking a page out of Karl Rove's playbook and putting more Democrat-friendly issues on the ballot. Not social issues, per se, because I think they'd lose there yet again, but perhaps a non-binding referendum on universal healthcare or other economic issue? That could be trouble...

No comments: